JOINT SMART Physios
Resources for joint smart physios
JOINT SMART is a treatment exercise & education program developed by clinicians & researchers in Australia specifically for the Australian healthcare system.
Powered by the respected DMA Clinical Pilates MBCT approach, JOINT SMART is specific for people with joint pain & dysfunction, especially those considering surgery for osteoarthritis, joint dysfunction & pain. It is focused at identifying patients most likely to benefit from conservative over surgical management.
JOINT SMART clients are educated to ultimately self manage and apply this to everyday activities to maintain the improvements, keep active and minimise further symptoms.
FUTURE OF THE PROFESSION
by Craig Phillips APAM
- COVID has presented the physiotherapy profession with one of its greatest opportunities to prove the worth and value of physiotherapists.
- With major disruption to elective surgeries, we’re now experiencing historically high surgical waiting lists which will take many years to clear.
- High quality research evidence highlights the value of conservative management with Category 2 and 3 elective surgeries (hip, knee, spine, shoulder etc.) However we still lack an effective mechanism to translate the massive body of evidence supporting physiotherapy into mainstream medicine.
- While this has been a major discussion point over the last 2 decades (see reports below), we still have yet to break through the numerous barriers preventing the translation of evidence into practice. Adequate funding is one key, as is the impermeable wall between the public health & private practice systems.
- As a result, Australia has been identified as the highest elective surgery country in the world.
- Current predictions published by the Australian Orthopaedic Association predict increases in Hip & Knee replacements alone of 208% & 273% respectively over the next decade compared to 38% last decade.
- JOINT SMART aims to lead the profession forward by aggregating data on the value of physiotherapy, reducing hospitalisation and surgery rates.
- This project is squarely aimed at addressing the various aims of the myriad of reports that identify a need for change.
Joint smart Physios Facebook Group
The JOINT SMART physios Facebook group is a great way to connect with other JOINT SMART physios and post questions you may have on patient management.
1 Yarra St
South Yarra VIC 3141