For GPs, Physios, Surgeons, and other Health Professionals
why refer to joint smart?
In Australia, elective surgeries are at an all time high due to COVID-19 with hundreds of thousands of procedures each year. The majority of cases are orthopaedic procedures such as joint surgeries and many of these patients can do better through conservative management and without surgery.
By referring patients to JOINT SMART, people who do not require surgery will be provided with treatment through a well structured program by specifically trained physiotherapists with the additional benefit of reduced costs, complications, and burden on Australia’s health system. Patients on surgical waiting lists also benefit by receiving conservative treatment preoperatively to improve surgical outcomes.
surgery or conservative management?
Deciding whether a patient may benefit more from surgery or physiotherapy can be difficult with every case being different and countless of factors that need to be considered. It is important for patients to understand whether surgery is necessary for them and what the process of recovery will be like for them such as its duration and side effects.
Below are some decision aids for patients that are available online:
- JointCalc – Risks and benefits of Joint Replacement Surgery (Hip and Knee)
- For People with Knee Osteoarthritis – Decision support tool for patients considering treatment options
- For People with Shoulder Pain – Whether to have surgery or not (Subacromial Decompression Surgery and Rotator Cuff Repair)
- 3 Orthopaedic surgeries that might be doing patients (and their pockets) more harm than good – March 24th, 2022 – Giovanni E Ferreira, Ian Harris, Joshua Zadro, Mary O’Keeffe
- Post-Surgery Hip and Knee Pain
- Projected Burden of Total Knee and Hip Replacements in Australia
1 Yarra St
South Yarra VIC 3141